Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nightmare at the Doctor's Office

While I can't say today was my worst doctor's visit ever it was definitely in the top 3. I knew it was going to be bad from the beginning because I had to take Lincoln and Samantha. The kids were actually really good all things considered but after 1 1/2 hours it was getting harder and harder to keep them entertained. Figures the one time I have no choice but to bring my kids the doctor is extremely behind.

We waited in the lobby for the first 90 minutes while I tried to keep the kids from getting too loud and rowdy. Then finally we got taken back to a room where I of course had to undress from the waist down and Lincoln decides to run out of the room. Thankfully when he realized I was not going to chase him he came back. He did this twice. I was seriously afraid I was going to have to chase him down half naked. Finally after waiting over two hours I got my 5 minutes with the doctor.

Then she tells me I have to do a NST (non-stress test) before I leave. So now I have to lay with heart rate monitors strapped to my belly praying my kids can keep it together a little longer. My only saving grace at the point was the nurse brought in a box of toys which included spoons that lit up. Those kept the kids mostly entertained. While I was strapped to the monitors Samantha had to go potty, so I had to let her go out the room by herself and ask for the bathroom hoping that Lincoln would not try to follow her. He almost made a run for it but luckily I had brought his binki, so the promise of something he loves and gets only at naptime and bedtime enticed him enough to stay in the room. So needless to say after three long and stressful hours I was finally able to leave.

Here are the results of today's nightmare: the babies passed the NST, my blood pressure was good and my cervix is long and tight (I was a little worried because I have been having contractions but so far they are not doing anything). I am unfortunately still retaining lots of water which means I gained another 8lbs in the past two weeks...can you say depressing. All the water retention has caused me to develop carpal tunnel in my right arm/hand which is extremely painful. Hopefully that will go away after birth. Last but not least my belly in now measuring at a whopping 46cm (I am only 36wks 4 days).

I only need to make it 2 more weeks and while the discomfort and pain are bad I would rather suffer for two more weeks and make it to my c-section date then go into labor suddenly and have them early.

7 comments:

Katie said...

oh man... what a day! but look on the bright side... at least you will have a funny story when this is all over and done with! Next time... just send them up here! I'll watch them for ya!!!

Krista said...

wow!! what a day!! bring your kiddos over next time!! my kids would love to play!

only 2 more weeks...i just have to say that you have a great attitude!

you are amazing and they will be here sooooo soon. can't wait to take pictures of the little cuties. :)

Emma said...

man, that was a nightmare. But you survived. Hang in there!

Heather said...

Oh, Robyn. You are a trooper. I think I would have considered going home. Kudos to you for hanging in there!! Good luck with the last few weeks.

Loni said...

What a nightmare! I'm just amazed you aren't on bed rest Robyn. Good luck!

Pitt Stop Sants said...

You are amazing! If your blood pressure was still ok during that doctor's visit, I think everything will work out great! Hang in there, and "hang" means a lot of horizontal rest ;) Many blessings to you and your kids and your home.

Mikal's Life said...

Hey it didn't have to be a nightmare because I would love to have Sammy (aka- my future daughter-in-law) and Lincoln over ANYTIME! It doesn't even matter if Kolby is at school when you need some help. Just call and let me know when you need me!!